POST REPORT - 2006 PACREG PER REUNION
1. The Pacific Region Physical Education and recreation Branch Reunion was held in Comox BC on 15-17 Sep 2006.
ORGANIZER - Ken MacDonald 250-382-9233 firstname.lastname@example.org
FACILITIES - Chris Ouimet 250-339-8016 email@example.com
TREASURER - Lee Roberge 250-740-0229 firstname.lastname@example.org
DRAW- Brian Venhereweghe 250-339-7135 email@example.com
M & G - Brian Venhereweghe 250-339-7135 firstname.lastname@example.org
DINNER - Chris Ouimet 250-339-8016 email@example.com
PRIZES - Jack McBride 780-418-4216 firstname.lastname@example.org
NB – Lee kindly replaced Herb MacAulay as treasurer after the entry forms were sent.
2. The following events were held:
- A Meet and Greet at Glacier Greens G&CC Social Center on Fri 15 Sep and consisted of an excellent and VERY delicious array of hot and cold finger food. Everyone had favourable comments about the selection, quality and quantity of the dishes.
- A Golf tournament using a form of Texas Scramble. The first T- time was at 1108 hrs with ten full teams participating. The weather was great for golfing but a bit windy on the back nine. Prizes for KP and longest drive for men and women were donated by Drew Schamehorn. All golfers brought a prize valued at between $15 -$20. The first place team selected their prizes first, then the remaining teams selected based on their scorecard being drawn from a hat. Name tags were provided prior to the golf event.
- A hot buffet dinner consisting of steak or chicken, mixed vegetables, buns, coffee and delectable desserts was enjoyed by all and commenced at 1700 hrs.
- A “no host” farewell breakfast was offered at 0900 hrs on Sunday at the Clubhouse. It rained heavily overnight Saturday and continued on Sunday, reducing the numbers attending the breakfast to a disappointing 9 people.
3. There were 53 registrants, including 8 from Alberta* and 6 guests from BC. 44 attended the Meet and Greet; 40 golfed and 50 attending the dinner. Attendees were:
Barton, Ted Keener, Cathie Pronk, Gary & Bonnie
Beaver, Bob Kernaghan, Ralph& Marilyn Roberge, Lee
Bootland, Ray & Marg MacDonald, Ken & Yvonne Schilds, Ron & Betty
Bowie, Tom Mayne, Harry & Marion Smith, Jack & Ann
Callaghan, Cal McBride, Jack & Marion* Sullivan, Ed & Sheila (Daughter)
Chatwin, Mike & Pat McDonald, Harry & June Vanhereweghe, Brian & Del
Ettinger, Al & Lynn Mohr, Jean (G) Vartanyan, Arman & Jen
Fraser, Hal & Alison (G) Muir, Bobbi & Bruce Walker, Lois*
Grant, Don (G)* Munro, Margaret (G) Walters, Wish*
Harvey, Ken & Lynda Ouimet, Chris & Nan Walton, Tom*
Johnston, Chuck & Karen* Porter, Jerry & Arlene Westfall, Bill
SKIP SCHAMEHORN MEMORIAL TROPHY
4. The Skip Schamehorn Trophy is inscribed each year with names selected by the Committee. Among other factors, nominees must be strong supporters of the reunion. The trophy is held at the Glacier Greens Golf and Country Club under the watchful eye of Chris Ouimet. Inscribees for the past four years are:
2003 - Terry Burns, Chuck Johnson, Ron Carlton, Hank Tatarchuk
2004 - Harvey Gates, Dale Dirks, Jerry Porter, Tom Walton
2005 - Harry Mayne, Bev Burrows, Ed Sullivan, Ken Harvey
2006 - Ralph Kernaghan; Ken MacDonald, Lee Roberge and Jack McBride.
5. Some photos are linked here.
6. The entire function was nearly self-supporting with entry fees covering most costs. Our financial status is as follows;
Balance as at 14 Sep . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $215.00
Reunion events, (off -setting) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0
Mailing costs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 29.56
Engraving (05 & 06) plus incidentals . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 14.00
Balance forward as at 18 Sep 06 $171.44
7. It is recommended that:
- The reunion be held again in Comox on 14-15 Sep 2007;
- The format remain the same, except that games or entertainment be organized by a designated Committee member for the Meet and Greet and perhaps for non-golfers on Saturday PM (Mini-golf on putting green; a putting competition for accuracy or similar events);
- In order to generate funds for our kitty, a 50-50 draw should be organized and conducted by a designated Committee member, perhaps the same one who would conduct the games mentioned above. One draw for Meet and Greet and one for Dinner;
- The entry form be adjusted to reflect whether entrants wish to golf with specific partners or with someone other than their spouse; (some felt that one can golf with one’s spouse anytime); and
- Name tags be provided at the Meet and Greet.